By now I’m sure everyone has seen the do it your self credit card transaction. Pretty much any store you go to now has the little machine where you swipe your own card and then sign in the box. I love those machines because you can usually swipe your card ahead of time and speed up the transaction. I think the more you can get the $8/hour clerk out of the transaction the better.
One place where that kinds of falls down is at Best Buy. Here are the Best Buy steps:
- Swipe your own card like normal.
- Cashier stands there looking confused.
- Cashier asks for the card that YOU just swiped so they can enter the last 4 numbers.
- Cashier talks to friends in line next to you
- Card is returned along with 8 foot long receipt with 2 surveys on it.
So if they have to actually take the card from you why don’t they just swipe it themselves?! Am I missing something here?